Installing Django with Apache and mod_wsgi on Ubuntu 10.04

Step by step instructions for installing Django with Apache and mod_wsgi on Ubuntu 10.04.

PART 1 – Prepare the server

Update the server

> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get upgrade

Install Apache and mod_wsgi

> sudo apt-get install apache2 libapache2-mod-wsgi

Install setup tools and pip

> sudo apt-get install python-setuptools
> sudo apt-get install python-pip

Install Django

> sudo pip install django

Create a folder for storing our sites

I’ll be placing our sites in the /srv/www directory. The /srv directory should already exist so we just need to create the /www directory

> sudo mkdir /srv/www

PART 2 – Add host entries for testing

We will set up two domains for testing the configuration
- one for testing that WSGI is working, and
- one for testing that Django is working.

My test virtual machine’s IP address is 172.16.52.130 so I’ll set up the following in my local hosts file (not on the server)

> sudo nano /etc/hosts

And add the following

172.16.52.130    djangoserver
172.16.52.130    wsgi.djangoserver
172.16.52.130    hello.djangoserver

PART 3 – Test WSGI is working

Create our wsgi test site content

> sudo mkdir /srv/www/wsgi

> sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload

Then open your web browser and browse to

You should see a ‘Hello World!’ message

PART 4 – Test Django is working

Create a new Django site

> cd /srv/www
> sudo django-admin.py startproject hello

Create a wsgi file for the site

> sudo mkdir /srv/www/hello/apache
> sudo nano /srv/www/hello/apache/django.wsgi

And add the content

import os
import sys

path = '/srv/www'
if path not in sys.path:
    sys.path.insert(0, '/srv/www')

os.environ['DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE'] = 'hello.settings'

import django.core.handlers.wsgi
application = django.core.handlers.wsgi.WSGIHandler()

Create a new apache site

> sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/hello

And add the content

<VirtualHost *:80>

ServerName hello.djangoserver
    DocumentRoot /srv/www/hello

<Directory /srv/www/hello>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

WSGIDaemonProcess hello.djangoserver processes=2 threads=15 display-name=%{GROUP}
    WSGIProcessGroup hello.djangoserver

WSGIScriptAlias / /srv/www/hello/apache/django.wsgi

</VirtualHost>

And activate the site

> sudo a2ensite hello
> sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload

Then open your web browser and browse to

You should see the Django default installation message.

Notes

NOTE 1 – Running in daemon mode

Our test Django site is configured to run in daemon mode – because of these two lines:

WSGIProcessGroup hello.djangoserver

So if we modify the code then rather than restarting apache we can just touch the wsgi file and the changes will be picked up:

> sudo touch /srv/www/hello/apache/django.wsgi

NOTE 2 – Specify the application module name

It appears to be a good idea to specify the application module when specifying the DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE. So rather than writing this:

os.environ['DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE'] = 'settings'

We should write this:

os.environ['DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE'] = 'hello.settings'

Useful Commands

Error log file

If you get errors, check the apache log file

> tail /var/log/apache2/error.log

Test using development mode

If your app does not seem to be working using wsgi, then check if it is working via the development server.

> cd /srv/www/hello
> python manage.py runserver 0:8080

The in your web browser go to

References

An improved WSGI script for use with Django.

Modwsgi – Integration With Django

How do I stop getting ImportError: Could not import settings ‘mofin.settings’ when using django with wsgi?

Configuration problems with django and mod_wsgi

This entry was posted in Django and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

37 Comments

1. Mike
    Posted January 8, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Great walk through! Thanks for doing this.

Helped me get up and running quickly so now I can play around with Django

2. Jason
    Posted January 21, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks for this great tutorial. It was my first time using mod_wsgi and I got the Django app installed on my remote server with everything running 100%. Well done on this great article.

3. Posted March 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kevan.

This post is very helpful!!!!!

4. Chris
    Posted March 14, 2011 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Thanks so Much! This was Exactly what I needed to know for my Django/Apache project. I’m running on andLinux over Windows XP.

5. Daniel
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Thank you very much Kevan! This is a great an clear manual to get things work on Ubuntu (10.10 in my case). Very helpful!!

6. Mike Sanders
    Posted March 23, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks man! One of the best and goal-oriented tutorials on this topic. I’m merry as a lark now to have a running DJANGO on my UBUNTU!

7. Gonzalo
    Posted June 30, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Hi, thanks for the tutorial, it was very helpfull!!!. But when i try to install this configuration in a Debian Lenny (instaling apache2 and libapache2-mod-wsgi) and restart apache it throw me

Syntax error on line 7 of /etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
    Invalid command ‘WSGIScriptAlias’, perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
    Action ‘configtest’ failed.
    The Apache error log may have more information.
    failed!

/etc/apace2/httpd.conf:

DocumentRoot /var/www/proyect

Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

WSGIScriptAlias / /var/www/proyect/apache/django.wsgi

ServerName localhost

SetHandler None

SetHandler None

Alias /media /var/www/media
    Alias /proyect /var/www/proyect

Any idea?.

Thanks againg

8. Posted June 30, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Hi Gonzalo, looks like there might occasionally be a problem installing mod_wsgi on Debian Lenny. Have a look at http://almad.nejsem.in/blog/2010/6/9/articles/invalid-command-wsgiscriptalias-debian-lenny/ which suggests reinstalling mod_wsgi (copied here for reference):

dpkg –purge –force-all libapache2-mod-wsgi
    apt-get install libapache2-mod-wsgi

9. Gonzalo
    Posted July 1, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Hi Kendal, thanks very much. I was thinking in reinstall mod_wsgi, but finally i found my mistake. I’m install it in multiple servers and in that server i forget to create /var/www/proyect/apache/django.wsgi file.

Thanks!!

10. Posted July 17, 2011 at 3:11 am | Permalink

Thanks very much for taking the time to put this together… what a great resource.

It would’ve taken me ages to figure all of this out. I’m loving Python and Django… the linux/server/deployment bit is really the only frustrating part.

Thanks again.

11. Posted August 4, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Hi Kevan,

Thanks for the great tutorial. Now, i have a fully functioning server with django, apache and mod_wsgi installed. This tutorial delivers what it promises. Helped a lot. Great work.

Cheers,
    Akshar

12. Danny Goodall
    Posted August 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Excellent walk-through. Took a lot of the pain away if deploying Django to EC2.

Thanks!

13. Percila
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Bless You Kevan!!! av learnt so much about deploying Django just from these few steps. thanx so much

14. rafael
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

the wsgi.djangoserver works, but when I enable the hello.djangoserver,
    everything stops working, even the wsgi.djangoserver sites outputs a 500 Internal Server Error. When I disable the hello site the wsgi.djangoserver works again.

I have triple-checked all my files but I havent found anything.

when I reload apache2 I get the errors:
    apache2:could not reliablydetermine the server’s fully qualified domain name, using 192.168.10.90 for ServerName

HELP

15. Posted August 31, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Hi Rafael, is there any error message showing up in the apache error log file? For a default install it should be in /var/log/apache2/error.log

16. rafael
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

[error] [client 192.168.10.3] mod_wsgi (pid=25250): target WSGI scripy ‘/srv/hello/apache/django.wsgi’ cannot be loaded as Python module.

[error] [client 192.168.10.3]mod_wsgi (pid=25250): Exception occured processing WSGI script ‘/srv/www/hello/apache/django.wsgi

[error] [client 192.168.10.3]Traceback (most recent call last):

[error] [client 192.168.10.3]File “/srv/www/hello/apache/django.wsgi” line 10 in

[error] [client 192.168.10.3]import django.core.handler.wsgi
    [error] [client 192.168.10.3]ImportError: No module named handler.wsgi

can’t start anything with that.. “Cannot be loaded as a Python Module”, sounds a bit guilty to me!

17. Posted August 31, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Looks like the wsgi module is missing or has a problem. Try the following:

> sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-wsgi

18. rafael
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

the module is already installed but I did what you said, then reloaded my apache server and nothing happened. We get the same errors.

19. rafael
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

I am actually using ubuntu server 11.04, is that maybe the issue?

20. Posted August 31, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

It could be a version compatibility problem with python and the wsgi module. Find your mod_wsgi.so file and run the following command:

> ldd mod_wsgi.so

The version of python in the output should match the actual version of python you have installed.

Otherwise, try posting a message to the mod wsgi group. Would be great to know if you find a solution.

21. Posted September 3, 2011 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Great Tutorial, all worked easy and fine. Thanks a lot!

22. Chris
    Posted September 7, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

This is the most intuitive Django + Mod WSGI tutorial I’ve found so far. Great job. Now if only the standard Django docs were this easy to understand…

23. Posted September 22, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I think this is the best Django+mod_wsgi tutoriol.

Hint: For ubuntu “sudo django-admin.py startproject hello” int work
    Use “sudo django-admin startproject hello” ;)

24. Posted November 22, 2011 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Just received an email from Dave Parizek on this entry. Copying his message here in case it helps others. Many thanks Dave.

Hi:

In your article here:

you need to tell people to remove any default files in

/etc/apache2/sites-enabled

I could not get wsgi test to work until I noticed a default file in sites-enabled was setting a different document root than I wanted.

Thanks!

25. Dave
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 6:20 am | Permalink

This is a great resource, many thanks Kevan. Everything followed to the tee and worked immediately.
    One thing I must ask though : I’m somewhat of a newbie in this whole arena of Django and WSGI (although have been working with WAMP/LAMP for nigh on 15 years). I’ve been given a django project which is currently being run under django’s own HTTP service (currently running via a console command as python manage.py runserver my_IP_Address:8000) but I understand that to take that and then host it in a ‘production’ environment I should be using Apache2 and MOD-WSGI.
    Is there an easy way of taking your notes eloquently written here and then applying them to a django project already coded, assuming the project has been written using normal framework filenames and structure?

26. Posted December 1, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Hi Dave, I’m not an expert in production deployment so don’t want to give you any misleading info. Probably best to post this question the Django user group.

All the best with your project.

27. Posted March 28, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Email received from Diego ( kobylkin.com )

Kevan,

I am referring to your walkthrough http://blog.stannard.net.au/2010/12/11/installing-django-with-apache-and-mod_wsgi-on-ubuntu-10-04/

It did not work for me on the clean install. I was getting the following error: ImportError: Could not import settings ‘hello.settings’ (Is it on sys.path?): No module named hello.settings

One other commenter has had the same problem.
    I had to change my django.wsgi to this:

import os
    import sys

sys.path.insert(0,os.sep.join(os.path.abspath(__file__).split(os.sep)[:-2]))
    os.environ['DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE'] = ‘testbed.settings’

import django.core.handlers.wsgi
    application = django.core.handlers.wsgi.WSGIHandler()

This is the string that I have added instead your code there:
    sys.path.insert(0,os.sep.join(os.path.abspath(__file__).split(os.sep)[:-2]))

Pls. consider adjusting your post as the comments are closed. Hope this will save a few hours to othere people trying out your otherwise very usefull walkthrough.

Bests,
    Diego

28. ljfais
    Posted June 15, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Thanks a lot this save me time

29. Chris Handy
    Posted June 17, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Just to say thanks for the welcome info. First time I set up Django + Apache and this was hands down the best info I found. I especially like the fact that you get wsgi part working first, since this caused me a bit of a problem on my particular machine that I was able to trace due to your article. Kudos!

30. Paul Smith
    Posted June 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

To avoid the error:

Remove the three lines in django.wsgi that relate to setting the path and simply replace them with:
    sys.path.append('/srv/www')
    sys.path.append('/srv/www/hello')

31. Kal
    Posted June 23, 2012 at 7:12 am | Permalink

This was by far the best tutorial I have seen for this. Btw, small difference for me. In the virtual host files, where you have “DocumentRoot /srv/www/hello”, I had to put one more /hello at the end of it. Because the settings.py file was in that folder. Maybe because of a newer version? I’m not sure.

32. Posted July 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks for tutorial. Very clear installation.

Very useful comments if you have 500 Server Error with “ImportError: Could not import settings ‘hello.settings’ (Is it on sys.path?): No module named hello.settings”.

or

33. Yansong
    Posted August 28, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

In the /srv/www/hello/apache/django.wsgi the path you add should be ‘/srv/www/hello’

34. fabske
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Hello :)

I try to set up django on my debian wheezy and tried PART 4 – Test Django is working
    Create a new Django site:

django-admin.py startproject hello
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/usr/local/bin/django-admin.py”, line 2, in
    from django.core import management
    File “/usr/local/lib/python3.2/dist-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py”, line 54
    except ImportError,e:
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Does somebody know what the problem ist??

35. Posted October 13, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank youThank you :) :):):)

You saved me :)

36. Csaba
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Hi,

thanks for this tutorial. I’ m developing something a couple of months ago, and i wanted to bind it now to apache2. After this tutorial i got some import error, and – for me – surprisingly it started to work, when i removed my 2 appnames from the INSTALLED_APPS , but i wouldn’ t think it’ s the right solution. Any idea how should i set up the wsgi file to work with my apps if they’ re also in the INSTALLED_APPS ? Or any hint how should i write my application to work with this tutorial’ s files?

Thanks.

37. pjvr
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kevin,

Awesome post!

I’m doing a deploy to EC2, and I also had trouble getting the wsgi “hello world” to work, until I saw that a default file in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled was hijacking the server.

Thanks much ;)

4 Trackbacks

1. [...] This guide shows you how to install Django with Apache and mod_wsgi on Ubuntu 10.04 More here [...]

2. By Installing Django on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on November 22, 2011 at 6:23 pm

[...] Mostly this article came from below, but I added to it: http://blog.stannard.net.au/2010/12/11/installing-django-with-apache-and-mod_wsgi-on-ubuntu-10-04/ Django, Programming, [...]

3. [...] Googling couple times, I’ve found some interesting article, http://blog.stannard.net.au/2010/12/11/installing-django-with-apache-and-mod_wsgi-on-ubuntu-10-04/ i’ve doing that on my local machine, and everything goes well. but How on [...]

4. [...] 참고한곳 http://blog.stannard.net.au/2010/12/11/installing-django-with-apache-and-mod_wsgi-on-ubuntu-10-04/ This entry was posted in Web and tagged apache, django, mod_wsgi, ubuntu, wsgi by naaveh. [...]